Wednesday, 23 April 2008

Funny Story


So I was wondering what to do blog-wise today and for some reason had been thinking about this funny thing that happened when I was a kid. So I'm gonna tell you...

My dad isn't a vet. He's a biologist - animal physiology to be precise - of the academic sort. Teaching, writing papers, advising and the like. But when I was a kid he was who family friends would come to for advice on pets. Balding cats, smelly hamsters, limping gerbils - you get the idea.

One of our friends, who lived round the corner, had a goldfish. It belonged to Jack who is my age and was about 5 at the time. One evening my parents got a phone call to say that the fish wasn't very well and would my dad be able to come over and see if there was anything he could do. (I think my dad did his PhD on guppies so perhaps they knew that and thought that he would be the fountain of all aquarium fish knowledge.) Jacks mum is a little prone to melodrama and I think that combined with a very upset little boy prompted the phone call....

So my dad popped round to be friendly and neighbourly and I think fully expecting to say there was nothing he could do, and flush the fish down the loo.

The fish was floating in the water at the top of the tank. Not moving. Dead looking. My dad, feeling the need to do something more than declare the time of death when faced with a stressed mum and a crying child, lifted the fish out of the water and gently gave it mouth to mouth.

As he carefully blew into the fishes mouth, something shot out of the other end.

He placed the fish back in the tank and it swam off happily.

Apparently it was constipated. And I do believe that the fish lived for many more years.

True story.

6 comments:

LittleSun said...

no way! a Regular Dr. Doolittle! wonderful story!

High Desert Diva said...

Ha!

First laugh of the morning...thanks!

outofthepinksky said...

Excellent! I'm so glad he was able to serendipitiously heal the fish!

Helen said...

Wow! you must have had the coolest dad in the neighborhood. That's too funny.

Alorinna said...

OMG - I didn't see that ending coming! That was great :D

rachel said...

hmm, for some reason I didn't see a Comments link for your most current post... am I just crazy, or what? Anyway - those van pictures are too funny... it's very strange indeed. And thanks for adding my blog to your blogroll :)